Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Triple Serving of Haiku


You might think that mixing poetry and math would make people head for the hills, but everyday folks admit to liking the ancient Haiku format.   I’ve watched friends engage in epic Haiku battles on Facebook  - lobbing verse back and forth for days.  
I find it’s hard to limit myself to just one Haiku, so I’ll share a couple extra poems today:  the first two were written by my oldest son (I try to make sure their own poems, as well as poetry written by other kids, make it into the lunchbox once in a while!).  He wrote the first during a school retreat along the Cheapeake Bay, the second he composed just for kicks.  The last Haiku is a nod to Thanksgiving being around the corner. 



The wind’s cold fingers
brush the surface of the Bay.
Ripples lick the shore.

              - ML, age 11


Pimple on my nose.
No matter how I wash it
it won't go away.

             - ML, (written at age 9)

[Wild Turkey]

wild turkey’s snow tracks
their arrows point us one way
they go the other

Michael J. Rosen, The Cuckoo’s Haiku

No comments:

Post a Comment