Friday, November 4, 2011

October Saturday


About four times each autumn, my family experiences a day like the one in Bobbi Katz's 'October Saturday.'  I understand that for some people a yard full of fallen leaves is just one more hassle in our already busy lives.  Though my back aches in the evening, I privately look forward to the Saturdays where we're all out in the yard raking (and jumping in!) together.  Much nicer than pulling weeds in July, don't you think?



October Saturday

All the leaves have turned to cornflakes.
It looks as if some giant’s baby brother
had tipped the box
and scattered them upon our lawn –
millions and millions of cornflakes –
crunching, crunching, under our feet.
When the wind blows,
they rattle against each other,
nervously chattering.

We rake them into piles –
Dad and I.
Piles and piles of cornflakes!
A breakfast for a whole family of giants!
We do not talk much as we rake –
a word here –
a word there.
The leaves are never silent.

Inside the house my mother is packing
short sleeved shirts and faded bathing suits –
rubber clogs and flippers –
in a box marked SUMMER.

We are raking.
Dad and I.
Raking, raking.
The sky is blue, then orange, then gray.
My arms are tired.
I am dreaming of the box marked SUMMER.


- Bobbi Katz, The Place My Words Are Looking For (Selected by Paul B. Janeczko)

1 comment: