Monday, November 14, 2011

Art Class



Take heart, kiddos!  Teachers and parents don’t know everything do they?!  The world has plenty to teach those who are willing to look, listen and learn.  I tuck X.J. Kennedy's poem, 'Art Class', into a lunchbox when a member of my family feels their creativity is being squashed by "someone who doesn't know how to draw a tree."

Art Class
Ms. Beecher said I don’t know how
                To make a lifelike tree.
Well, all I did was look and draw
                How branches looked to me.

I know what you’re supposed to do –
                You make a Y, and sitting
On both its arms another two
                Y’s.  Make them go on splitting.
 
I went and looked up at a bough
               With bark like scraped black leather,
And neither does a tree know how
                To fit a tree together. 

                X. J. Kennedy, Poetry Speaks to Children

1 comment: