Friday, November 11, 2011

Halfway Down


We are *HUGE* A.A. Milne fans in my family – each generation has worn out its own copies of Winnie-The-Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner .  The joyous tales only get better as my boys grasp his clever use of language and witty sense of humor.   Less known by children today seem to be A.A. Milne’s works of poetry.  I find his poems to be both silly and wise, earning heavy rotation in the lunchbox …


Halfway Down

Halfway down the stairs
Is a stair
Where I sit.
There isn’t any
Other stair
Quite like
It.
I’m not at the bottom,
I’m not at the top;
So this is the stair
Where
I always
Stop.

Halfway up the stairs
Isn’t up,
And isn’t down.
It isn’t in the nursery,
It isn’t in the town.
And all sorts of funny thoughts
Run round my head:
“It isn’t really
Anywhere!
It’s somewhere else
Instead!”

-          A.A. Milne, When We Were Very Young

No comments:

Post a Comment