Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Lunchbox Poems: The Beginning

My mother taught elementary school for over 35 years.  As a mom to two elementary aged boys myself, I appreciate the classroom insight and ideas she shares with me. Several years ago, she recommended I introduce my boys to poetry, explaining that its concise form and descriptive imagery made it an engaging genre for kids.

Taking her advice to heart, the next day I went to the library and explored the children's poetry section.  I was disappointed to find that so much of the poetry printed for children had tedious rhymes with silly and grotesque themes.  Thankfully, among the volumes of silly verses, I found a few poetry anthologies that took a different approach:  adult-worthy poetry with kid-friendly themes!

I instantly bonded with the concept and became excited to share poetry with my boys.  But how was I going to fit poetry reading into their already busy lives? 

The idea:  Put a poem in their lunchbox every day!

OK, that's enough background for now.  On with the poetry!

Jacks

Tossed
quickly
from an eager fist,
this silver-mix
goes somersaulting,
silver
falling to the walk,
raining
tin bouquets;
small bundles
of piggyback
stars.

- Rebecca Kai Dotlich, 20th Century Children’s Poetry Treasury

No comments:

Post a Comment